Corporate & Business Transactions
Murphy, Hesse, Toomey & Lehane, LLP’s corporate practice provides transactional services and advice to privately-owned businesses throughout Massachusetts. These businesses can range in size from small start-ups to large middle market companies, including both for-profit and non-profit organizations, and across a number of industries. We regularly advise business owners and executives on a wide range of matters, including business entity selection and formation, corporate governance, contract and lease negotiation, data security, intellectual property rights, debt and equity financing, and mergers and acquisitions. We also advise corporate clients with regard to state and federal tax matters, as well as various commercial real estate matters, including the purchase and sale, leasing, and financing of commercial property.
Our corporate legal services include:
- The selection and creation of appropriate business entities;
- Analysis, negotiation and drafting of all types of contracts;
- The sale, acquisition and merger of businesses and related financing;
- Protection and licensing of proprietary information, intellectual property and trade secrets;
- Executive compensation and benefits;
- Review of company policies and procedures for federal and state regulatory compliance including representation before regulatory agencies;.
- Representing both lenders and borrowers in commercial financial transactions;
- Representing buyers, sellers, developers, lenders and investors in real estate transactions;
- Mediation, arbitration and litigation of commercial disputes.
The areas of our practice include:
- Tax planning for business organizations including formation, operations, financing, liquidations, and transactional tax planning for taxable and tax-free mergers, acquisitions and divestitures;
- Compensation planning, including design and administration of tax-qualified pension and profit-sharing plans, ESOP, non-qualified deferred compensation, stock options, and fringe benefits plans;
- Tax planning for tax-exempt organizations, including formation, obtaining and maintaining tax exemption, unrelated business income, transactions with taxable organizations;
- Tax planning for investments in and dispositions of real estate; and
- Federal and State tax planning, including corporate excise tax and estate and gift taxes.
Contact us today if you have questions about Corporate & Business Transactions
Attorney(617) 479-5000 firstname.lastname@example.org
Kevin S. Freytag is a member of the firm’s Litigation practice. He assists clients with the resolution of various business disputes in the areas of construction, labor and employment, and real estate and land use matters. He has represented construction companies in contract disputes, bid disputes, bond claims, abandonment claims, Chapter 93A consumer protection claims, mechanic’s liens claims, construction defect claims, indemnity claims, and insurance coverage issues under commercial general liability policies. Mr. Freytag also advises commercial landlords and tenants Read More
Partner(617) 479-5000 email@example.com
Mr. Graham is a managing partner with Murphy, Hesse, Toomey & Lehane, LLP and directs the firm’s corporate and commercial law practice areas. Mr. Graham has over thirty-five years experience in corporate organization, commercial contracting, business acquisition and sales, license and royalty agreements, intellectual property protection, commercial financing (bank, private placement and venture), commercial real estate acquisition, sale, leasing and construction, as well as general business counseling and advice. He has served as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association Read More
Mr. Rhodes received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Iowa where he was a University Honors Scholar. In 1992, Mr. Rhodes received his. J.D. from the University of Iowa, College of Law graduating with distinction, and serving as a member of the Iowa Law Review. He obtained his MBA from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and received his LLM in Taxation, Magna Cum Laude, from the University of Alabama School of Law. He has extensive experience in health care Read More
Attorney(617) 479-5000 firstname.lastname@example.org
Formerly corporate counsel at a large Massachusetts Community Bank, Mr. McNulty’s practice is primarily focused on corporate and financial transactional work. Mr. McNulty handles the full spectrum of corporate and real estate matters and has assisted clients with entity formation, real estate transactions, mergers & acquisitions and investments, as well as commercial and residential acquisitions and dispositions. Additionally, Mr. McNulty represents and advises various financial institutions on a wide range of topics, including corporate governance, compliance, construction and secured lending, Read More
Murphy, Hesse, Toomey & Lehane, LLP Partner Presents at the Mass Bar Association’s 43rd Annual Labor & Employment Spring Conference
Attorney Sarah Spatafore, a partner at Murphy, Hesse, Toomey & Lehane, LLP, participated as a labor panelist at the Massachusetts Bar Association’s 43rd Annual Labor and Employment Spring Conference earlier this month. Presenters at the conference, held at Suffolk University Law School, were chosen based on experience providing significant thought leadership in the areas of labor and employment law. Among the presenters were several judges and accomplished labor and employment law attorneys, as well as U.S. Secretary of Labor Read More
MHTL supports the international effort to help Ukraine and bring an end to the political and humanitarian crisis that is unfolding. Too long has the world, and this country also, allowed bad actors to use the weapons of war, including the threat of nuclear war, to achieve immoral and illegal ends. Ending the crisis in Ukraine is not enough. The world needs a solution, short of violence and war, to make sure that bad actors and those who Read More